- 50g/1¾oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 500g/1lb 2oz sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream
- 135ml/4½fl oz full-fat milk
- I teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Butter a 17cm/7in square tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Put the sugar, cream, milk and 50ml/2fl oz boiling water in the centre of a large, deep pan (24cm/9½ in diameter).
- Heat gently over a very low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Check by giving the mixture a stir with a wooden spoon, remove the spoon and examine the back of it - any remaining granules should be visible.
- Put a sugar thermometer into the pan and turn up the heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Hold it at this simmering point, adjusting the heat accordingly (as the temperature increases you may find that you have to turn up the heat on the hot plate), and cook until the mixture reaches 116C/241F.
- As soon as 116C has been reached remove from the heat.
- Beat the fudge until it becomes grainy - I use my electric mixer.
- Pour the fudge into the tin and leave to cool at room temperature for a couple of hours, or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into squares and eat.
I haven't trid it but you could always add cherries, walnuts etc into the fudge.